The next steps when someone passes away
When someone passes away, there are various legal duties to be carried out, many of which must be handled by a relative.
We are here to guide you through these initial procedures, so you are soon in a position to hand us responsibility for the subsequent funeral arrangements.
Coming to terms with the death of a loved one is a difficult experience, which can be further impacted by making arrangements for their funeral. While we will always consult you, we aim to assume responsibility for as many duties as possible, allowing you the broadest opportunity to reconcile your loss.
We recommend that you contact us as soon as possible so we can offer advice and assistance at the most crucial time. We may not always need to attend – should your loved one pass away in hospital, for example – but we will still be able to reassure you that the correct steps are being taken, and in a professional manner.
Here we outline the immediate matters to be dealt with when death occurs.
At home or at a nursing home
- Contact your loved one’s GP straight away. They will arrange to visit with you, confirm that death has taken place, and issue a Certificate of Death that officially allows us to assume responsibility for the care of the body.
- Next, contact us. We will arrange for the transfer of the body to the Coroner at the hospital, and can also answer and initial queries you have concerning the funeral arrangements.
- Contact us straight away. We will advise you on what happens next and start to make initial arrangements for the funeral.
- The hospital will issue you with the Certificate of Death, which you should then pass to the Registrar for the area in which death took place. It is a good idea to also take other official documentation relating to the deceased – birth, marriage and medical certificates, for example.
- The Registrar will issue you with a green certificate that you should pass to us as soon as possible. Besides officially permitting us to handle the funeral arrangements, it will also advise you on your entitlement to state benefits. We will be able to advise you on how to claim such assistance, where applicable.
- We will consult you regarding options for the funeral and start to put arrangements in place.